If you think you have a gas emergency call the 24 hour National Gas Emergency hotline on 0800 111 999.
What to do If you can smell gas or think you have a gas leak:
- Open doors and windows to let the gas out.
- Check if your gas appliances are switched off.
- Turn your gas off at the isolation switch (if you know where it is).
- Wait outside of your home and let your neighbours know.
What not to do when having a gas emergency:
- Don't use any electrical switches and don't switch lights on or off.
- Don't smoke, light a match or use any other kind of naked flame.
- Don't go back into your home until you've got the all-clear.
If you're worried fumes containing carbon monoxide are escaping from a gas appliance, call the 24 hour National Gas Emergency hotline on 0800 111 999.
Check our guide for more information about gas safety.
Power cuts usually don't last long, but if it's more than a few hours call your Distribution Network Operator (DNO) on 105.
Before you ring:
- Check your fuse board to see if there's a fault with your electrical items or switches.
- See if your neighbours have power. If they don't, it's likely there's a problem with the local network – call your DNO on 105.
Pay As You Go emergencies
If you’ve topped up but your supply hasn’t come back on For SMETS2 meters (usually either an Aclara electricity meter with 2 buttons, or a Flonidan gas meter with 3 buttons) There are 2 ways to top up manually:
- The easiest and fastest way is to use your In-Home Display (IHD):
- Tap the menu icon at the bottom right of the screen
- Press Top-Up
- Choose the fuel you want to top up
- Press OK
- Enter your vend code (you can find this on your receipt or via text message if you use our app)
- Tap OK
- The IHD will then confirm that your money has been added to your meter.
- Use your Aclara electricity and Flonidan gas meter. For electricity, use your Aclara meter:
- Press A on your meter until you see Enter Top Up Code
- Press and hold A to begin typing
- Enter your code using the A and B buttons to navigate through the digits
- Press and hold B when complete
- If successful, the top-up amount will appear on the screen.
For gas, use your Flonidan meter:
- Press C on your gas meter to enter the menu
- Using A and B, scroll to Prepayment and press C
- Tap A and B until you see New Payment
- Press C to select it
- Use A and B to enter your code
- Tap C again
Please visit our smart guide page if you need any more help.
If you’ve lost your Pay As You Go top-up card
You don't need a physical card in order to top up. If you still have the numbers (you can find these on an old top-up receipt), then you can top up online or on the OVO Energy Top-up app. You can also input the numbers into your OVO Energy Top-up app, which will give you a barcode that you can use to top up at the shop.
We charge £5 for replacement top-up cards, but if you'd like us to send you one, let us know via chat. Just click the green chat icon on the bottom right of your screen (8am to 6pm Monday to Friday and 9am to 2pm on Saturday). Or call us on 0330 175 9669 during the same times.
If there’s an emergency with your meter in Pay As You Go mode
You can chat with us. Just click the green chat icon at the bottom right of your screen. Or call us on 0330 175 9669 – we can help.
Need extra support?
We always aim to make life as easy as possible for you. This is why we have a Priority Services Register (PSR) to help our customers with special needs.