Charities and organisations to help with energy debt

There are organisations that can offer you advice when it comes to money worries.

Step Change Debt Charity

They’re the UK’s largest provider of free, independent debt advice. They help thousands of people every week to overcome debt problems.

You can talk to them free on 0800 138 1111 (Monday to Friday 8am-8pm and Saturday 8am-4pm).

You can also use their online Debt Remedy tool. By answering a few questions, it’ll recommend ways to manage your debts, based on your personal circumstances.

Fuel Direct scheme

This scheme is offered by the Department for Work and Pensions to pay for your energy bills or energy debt. Fuel Direct can use money directly from these benefits:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance Pension Credit
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance

For more information, contact Jobcentre Plus or, if you’re on Pension Credit, your pension centre.

You’ll need to give:

  • Our details and how much you owe us
  • Your customer account number
  • Your National Insurance number

National Debtline

This debt charity gives free advice in England and Wales through its helpline and online tool - My Money Steps. It asks you questions about your income, spending and debts, then helps you work out the best way to deal with your debts. It also offers step-by-step support so you can get back in control.

You can also call on 0808 808 4000 (Monday to Friday 9am-9pm and Saturday 9.30am to 1pm).

Centre for Sustainable Energy

The Centre offers free, impartial advice on how to save energy and keep your home warm in winter. Just have your name and account details ready when you call.

There may be special help available if you:

  • are of pensionable age
  • have a disability
  • have a hearing or visual impairment
  • suffer from long-term ill health

You can call on 0800 408 6601 or, for mobiles, on 0117 203 4264. (Monday to Friday 9am-5pm).

Civil Legal Advice (CLA)

Offering free, confidential legal advice in England and Wales. Check if you can get legal aid using this form.
Or call 0845 345 4 345 (Monday to Friday 9am-8pm and Saturday 9am-12.30pm).

Citizens Advice Bureau

For free advice and information on debt, drop into your local Citizens Advice Bureau or visit its website.